Sunday, January 17, 2016

To the land of Franks

2015 have been a remarkable year for me. It was one of the hardest at the same time happiest year for me. So many things have happened in a spun of 1 year. I left my job of 5 years to take another challenge, become better and yeah stronger I hope. I am so blessed that along the way, I met so many great people, was given an opportunity to travel abroad. What an amazing year intend!

Oh but it doesn't even stop there, because 2015 turns out the year I'd step into my dream continent that is Europe. Picture of that Autumn brick building, beautiful landscapes and people walking in high street looking like fashion icons. A movie clip plays on my mind and I imagine alps and sweet smelling Autumn. I mean who won't gape when you're visiting one of the most amazing continent?

So there I was totally excited for my next training adventure half way around the world! In such a short notice I would fly to Europe! *insert scream* but no time to even let the thought sink in because the next few weeks was an exhausting-hunt-high-and-low for my Autumn-look (duh priorities). But first, and most important thing to deal with when traveling to Europe is of course securing a Schengen visa. To my delight, I had no such trouble getting mine through TLS Contact. Let me discuss about it separately here.


Frankfurt, here I come!


I left Saturday evening for Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi. My  first time to take long haul flight, my longest flight so far took me 4 hrs one way. Etihad is just as I have imagined it to be, spacious and comfortable and all the free goodies. During the entire plane trip, I've watched all MoM episodes, Big Bang, 2-half men, not so bad collections!

By 7PM arrived in Abu Dhabi  (almost midnight in Manila); UAE is -4hrs, I met Craig, my Aussie colleague whom I've met 2 weeks ago at Jakarta.


This has been my only company for like 1 day and half...


Oh Frappe, this cold drink welcomed me to Abu Dhabi 

while waiting for my connecting flight.

Guten morgen Germany


By 2AM (Manila Time), we were off for another 6hr-flight to Frankfurt Germany. I think my only recollection was Sheldon's funny face because the next thing I knew we landed on a misty morning at Frankfurt International Airport.
Time check; 7AM CET, Monday. My watch displayed 2PM (PH), I was literally suspended on air for like 1 day 8 hrs in total. With all those sitting-time during the flight, my legs could use some stretching!!  The 8C temperature welcomed me to Europe as we alight the plane. I was wearing my considerably thick turtle neck and pants but my warmer is tucked on my luggage, just hoping the immigration thing will finish off immediately so I don't froze in the cold.

Finally it was turn after the long queue- I was my casual confident self answering questions. The officer asked me to show the Letter of invitation and I realized why in the world did I forget to print a copy! I flashed a smile and  showed a copy from my laptop. Heh, visa thing.  

Immigration desks


On the way to train station


Finally @ Frankfurt


We went straight to the DB train ticket station to get us to Stuttgart and met Bryan. One way ticket costs Euro63.00. No available seat reservation because we need to catch the next available train at 9AM and it's half past 8. Seat reservation is only possible if it's still an hour prior to travel time.  We took 2 elevator trips up to the station and my eyes is threatening to close. Oh time zone problems! Europe(Central European Time) is 7 hours lagging. So yeah, I'm younger by 7 hrs here. We managed to find empty seats, and luckily it was non-reserved so it was a more or less comfortable 2 hr ride to Stuttgart. 
By 11AM, we were at the Main Station of Stuttgart and decided to grab a quick lunch! My first lunch in Germany includes a latte and bacon croissant. I've never been ever glad to be in a coffee shop, so warm and the smell of coffee picks me up! 


We're not lost, aren't we?

We took another train trip to Freiburg, one-way ticket costs Eu 5.0 I literally dragged myself and my extra-heavy-luggage to the train station because 2 elevators were under maintenance! Goodness! It was 12deg but I am soaked to my skin. Few more minutes and we're finally on board S2 to Freiburg am Neckar.



Incoming!!!

We passed like 5 stations until Freiburg-am-Neckar. Exiting the train station was even harder as the temperature makes it impossible for me to function normally, already around 2C at this time! We walked about hundred meter more and passed beautiful European houses to the hotel, and finally reached Hotel Schober, my temporary home for the coming days. Oh finally, finally I could rest my legs but  too excited to explore Germany. 


Happiness & love,
itsmelory (^.^)

No comments:

Post a Comment