Friday, December 13, 2013

Korakuen Garden, Okayama Castle

Our next itinerary is one my favorites in Japan..what else but a homage to one of Japan's old castles. After some warm meal, which includes hot miso soup, fish and rice, appetizer and yokan, I readied myself for some castle wandering. Yehey!  

Loving the Japanese foods, I can live here for good! 

Welcome to the Korakuen Garden 


Korakuen taken from the word koen (which means later) since it was built after the Okayama Castle. The name evolved from senyu-koraku which according to a Chinese book means grieve earlier than others, enjoy later than others. 
The garden opens daily from 8AM-5PM and ticket sells for Jpy400 for garden viewing only however for combined admission (Garden, Okayama Castle and Museum of Art) Jpy960.




Ticket? Check, excited for some garden strolling 


Prepare for long walks. The garden is transforming as the season is passing from Autumn to Winter by this time..

I felt like being transported 30 years back when I set foot upon the garden entrance. I remembered as a child, I would admire great gardens similar to this pretending I am a crown princess of that kind and I am so grateful and amazed that I am in fact standing on one of those. Such a beautiful garden! Korakuen is a landscape of streams and rivers, rice field, tea garden and maple trees. It was a sight worth seeing! 


Such a welcoming view. I just can't help but pose under this  red gold and green ensemble.

Jigen do Hall with the statues of Two Guardians of the Temple








Korakuen was built mainly to entertain and receive important guests.  No wonder why its known as one of the Three Great Gardens of Japan. 


Sawa no ike pond. The largest pond in the garden. 


Loving the back drop..

The Okayama Castle 


Okayama Castle from the garden looks every inch perfect. 




Trying to pose like Sacho-san..






bridge going to the Okayama Castle, yes more walking...


The Crow Castle and the boat harbor (photo taken from the bridge). 
The river serves as a moat as protection in any event of attack. 


Find out what's inside The Crow Castle


Love,

itsmelory (^.^)

No comments:

Post a Comment